Assistant to the CEO / Office Coordinator (Full time fixed term 5-month maternity cover – Start Date 6 July)
Award-winning news-literacy initiative Lie Detectors is looking for a resourceful, detail-focused and reliable Assistant to the CEO/Office & Team Coordinator in our Brussels headquarters to cover for our colleague who heads on maternity leave for five months in July.
This is a great opportunity for someone with energy and ideas who can both execute and help us improve critical support processes.
Lie Detectors is an independent not-for-profit organisation that works to boost critical thinking and digital news literacy among young people and their teachers across Europe.
We deploy professional journalists to classrooms to start a lasting conversation about the online disinformation, provide tools for detecting them and convey the workings and challenges facing professional and ethical journalism. We currently employ a format adapted for homeschooling and remote learning.
Registered as a Belgian not-for-profit organisation, Lie Detectors is devised as a Europe-wide project. It is currently active in English, German and French in Germany, Belgium and Austria, with our work described in media outlets including the Financial Times and Germany’s ARD tagesschau. We are headquartered in Brussels and have offices in Berlin and Vienna. Lie Detectors won the 2018 Digital Skills Award for work in education.
As the assistant to the CEO /team coordinator you are someone who thrives in a start-up environment and relishes the complexities of a growing and dynamic project.
- You will be in charge of the general office management and producing minutes during meetings.
- You will manage and assign incoming mail for country teams and HQ.
- You will solve simple IT problems and contact our IT support when necessary.
- You will assist the CEO with daily tasks and logistics along with basic administrative duties.
- You will be the main person responsible for booking most of the bank transactions, sales invoices, purchase invoices, and payroll data, working alongside our external accountant.
- In addition to running the day-to-day accounts, Lie Detectors is looking for someone who can redesign the current processes and find new solutions to save us time.
- be fluent in English and have excellent written English skills;
- have working knowledge of German and French;
- be able to work with MSOffice, Excel and CRM tools;
- be very comfortable working with and managing databases and spreadsheets;
- be extremely detail-focused and adept at basic book-keeping;
- be efficient at finding process inefficiencies and resolving them;
- be able to work independently and within a small team;
- be highly adept at communicating remotely, particularly given the current coronavirus situation;
- be able to monitor, respond and communicate important updates and information internally as well as externally;
- be flexible and willing to take on new areas of responsibility as the project develops;
- have a background in bookkeeping, office administration or a degree in business related study;
- have experience with budgeting and cost analysis.
What we offer:
- A competitive non-profit-sector salary which will take into account your professional experience along with benefits (meal vouchers, attractive commuting allowance);
- A unique opportunity to help roll out a high-profile and timely movement for critical thinking among children in Europe, working against disinformation with professional journalists and educators across Europe;
- Creativity in scaling up a project with recognised social and political significance;
- Work within a highly engaged international team and in close collaboration with headquarters management in an attractive central Brussels location.
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject heading Lie Detectors Maternity Cover). Deadline for application is 26 April. We will be reviewing applications and interviewing candidates as they come in.