Education Development Officer – application deadline 14 January 2024
Lie Detectors is looking for a highly-organised officer for our education development team. This is a chance to be part of a dedicated team working towards a common goal of empowering young and old with media literacy skills to resist online polarisation and disinformation.
Lie Detectors (https://lie-detectors.org) is an independent and award-winning news literacy project in Europe working to tackle disinformation and its corrosive effect on democracy. We do this by empowering citizens to sort fact from fiction online and understand how professional journalism works, by analysing impact and trends in media literacy work and by informing policy debates in the fields of education policy and digital rights. See coverage of our work in the Financial Times, BBC, Spiegel Online, German broadcaster ZDF, the European Business Summit as well as our latest Lie Detectors impact video.
We are currently looking for an Education Development Officer based in our HQ office in Brussels to help drive our impactful media literacy training for teachers and our work against polarisation and disinformation.
Reporting to the Senior Advisor for Education Development and Strategy, you will help assure the reach and accessibility of our training modules for teachers and educational multipliers in diverse educational settings. You will prepare Lie Detectors’ teacher-training modules for roll-out across our countries of operations. Working with our pool of teacher-trainers and our hosts, your meticulous approach to consistency checks and copy editing will ensure excellence in our educational materials.
Your role will extend to assisting the Senior Advisor in the strategic planning of our education programmes as we work toward media literacy goals defined by the EU and OECD. You will also support the monitoring, evaluation, and learning processes against our objectives.
Are you our ideal candidate?
As a supporting member of our education development team, you will report to the Senior Advisor for Education Development and Strategy, contributing significantly to the quality of training materials for educational communities. Your meticulous approach to consistency checks and copy editing will ensure excellence in our educational materials. You will assist with research to optimize Lie Detectors’ engagement with diverse educational systems in and around Europe, in line with emerging expert consensus on effective media literacy tools, disciplines and approaches. You will support training events and coordinate the data management, impact assessment and quality control of the training modules.
We are looking for:
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in supporting education or literacy projects in the EU.
- Good knowledge of journalism and the education landscape in Europe, or adjacent areas.
- Experience of working with an international team.
- Project management experience and excellent communication skills.
- Excellent English. German, French and/or Polish highly desirable.
- Excellent detail-orientation and assertiveness in project management.
- Ideally, you’ll have some knowledge of or be curious about innovation frameworks such as the European Digital Education Action Plan, 2022 EU Digital Literacy expert recommendations and the EU Digital Competence Framework for Citizens.
What we offer
- A competitive salary and work package including 25 holidays, partial reimbursement of local transportation ticket, a pension fund.
- An open, international, and flexible work environment.
- A unique opportunity to advance and accelerate practical work to tackle digital disinformation and polarisation.
- A sustainable and well-situated office in the Madou Quarter in Brussels.
- You’ll join a well-meshed and brilliant team.
You will be based in the Brussels head office and travel on occasion.
If this sounds like an exciting and suitable next challenge for you, send us your CV and a cover letter in English outlining how your past experience equips you for the role by 14 January 2024 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please label your email “EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT OFFICER”. Should you see this posting after the deadline, feel free to contact us to check whether applying still makes sense.
Lie Detectors is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Lie Detectors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, age or any other status protected by applicable law.
We may work with an external consultancy to fill this position. The consultant will have access to documents that you submit during the recruitment process and may contact individual candidates on behalf of Lie Detectors.