Projects Officer – application deadline 14 January 2024
Lie Detectors is looking for an efficient and motivated Projects Officer to manage our EU projects designed to boost media literacy and tackle disinformation and polarisation.
Lie Detectors (https://lie-detectors.org) is an independent and award-winning news literacy project in Europe working to tackle disinformation and its corrosive effect on democracy. We do this by empowering citizens to sort fact from fiction online and understand how professional journalism works, by analysing impact and trends in media literacy work and by informing policy debates in the fields of education policy and digital rights. See coverage of our work in the Financial Times, BBC, Spiegel Online, German broadcaster ZDF,the European Business Summit as well as our latest impact video.
We are currently looking for a Projects Officer based in our HQ office in Brussels to run our EU supported projects and support our country-level projects.
Reporting to Lie Detectors’ operations department and senior management, you support the implementation of Lie Detectors’ EU-related activities:
- Ensure the timely and high-quality delivery of planned activities (including through technical work of your own).
- Participate in project communication and evaluation.
- Prepare administrative documents as well as technical and financial reports.
- Cooperate daily with colleagues, external partners, contributors, and stakeholders.
- Coordinate with the Operations Team on projects’ finances.
- Ensure that the results of the projects feed into the regular work of Lie Detectors.
- Assist with the development and drafting of new project proposals.
- Watch out for new funding opportunities.
We are looking for:
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in running EU projects.
- Good knowledge of journalism and the education landscape in Europe, or adjacent areas.
- Good grasp of the EU policy and institutional environment.
- Familiarity with EU proposal or bid development. Experienced with following an EU budget in the framework of projects.
- Experience of working with an international team.
- Excellent English. German, French and/or Polish highly desirable.
- Good communicator. Networking and relationship-building.
- Negotiation skills.
- Excellent detail-orientation and assertiveness in project management.
- Flexibility and adaptability to function in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Affinity for, and commitment to, the work and mission of Lie Detectors.
- A work package including 25 holidays, partial reimbursement of local transportation ticket, a pension fund.
- Possibility to work 2 days a week from home.
- A contract linked to the length of the current projects (18 months) with the possibility to extend if further bids are successful.
- An open, international, and flexible work environment.
- A valuable experience with experienced journalists and other professionals, with the European institutions.
- A sustainable and well-situated office in the Madou Quarter in Brussels.
We are looking forward to meeting you! Send your CV and application letter, telling us about your motivation and interest, as soon as possible to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply for this position is COB 14 January 2024. Please indicate “PROJECTS OFFICER” in the subject of the email. Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted for the interviews.
Lie Detectors is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Lie Detectors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, age or any other status protected by applicable law.
We may work with an external consultancy to fill this position. The consultant will have access to documents that you submit during the recruitment process and may contact individual candidates on behalf of Lie Detectors.