Project Assistant, Brussels – apply by 21 April
Award-winning news-literacy initiative Lie Detectors is looking for a versatile, detail-focused and reliable Project Assistant to assist our team in the scaling up our work boosting media literacy and fighting fake news in Europe.
Lie Detectors is an independent not-for-profit organisation that works to boost critical thinking and digital news literacy among young people and their teachers across Europe.
We deploy professional journalists to classrooms to start a lasting conversation about the online disinformation, provide tools for detecting them and convey the workings and challenges facing professional and ethical journalism.
Registered as a Belgian not-for-profit organisation, Lie Detectors is devised as a Europe-wide project. It is currently active in English, German and French in Germany, Belgium and Austria, with its work described in media outlets including the Financial Times and Germany’s ARD tagesschau. It is headquartered in Brussels and has offices in Berlin and Vienna. It won the 2018 Digital Skills Award for work in education.
On the political and advocacy level, Lie Detectors has advised the European Commission as a member of the High Level Expert Group on Fake News and Online Disinformation and the High Level Group on Media Literacy. It advocates for the integration of media literacy learning in teacher training and school curricula as recommended by Unesco and the OECD.
Lie Detectors is looking for a dynamic, detail-focused and reliable Project Assistant to assist the organisation and administration of the project and its senior management.
As Project Assistant you are someone who thrives in a start-up environment and relishes the complexities of growing and dynamic project. You will manage and update the project’s databases and calendars, keeping the team organised, and monitor news and events relevant to the Lie Detectors project. During classroom-visit season you may have regular contact with journalists and schools in Belgium, as well as conference organisers. You will assist the CEO with daily tasks and logistics and the Operations Director with basic accounting and administrative tasks. A tech-savvy project assistant will also help with updating the website and other communication tasks. This full-time position is based in Brussels and involves some travel.
- be fluent in English and Dutch, with excellent written skills in both languages; and have command of another European language
- be fluent working with MSOffice (Excel, PowerPoint), publishing software such as InDesign and CRM tools;
- be very comfortable working with and managing databases and spreadsheets;
- be extremely detail-focused and adept at basic book-keeping;
- be able to work independently and within a small team;
- be highly adept at communicating remotely;
- be educated to bachelor level or above and be able to provide references from employment;
- be flexible and willing to take on new areas of responsibility as the project develops.
You will ideally
- be fluent in German and have knowledge of other European languages;
- have experience of basic book-keeping;
- have a background in communications or law;
- have a flair for CMS / website management
What we offer:
- A competitive non-profit-sector salary with benefits, which will take into account your professional experience;
- A unique opportunity to help roll out a high-profile and timely movement for critical thinking among children in Europe, working against disinformation with professional journalists and educators across Europe;
- Creativity in scaling up a project with recognized social and political significance;
- Work within a highly engaged international team and in close collaboration with headquarters management.
If this interests you we will be glad to hear from you by 21 April. Please write to us in English, sending us your cover letter, resume and contacts of three references, with the subject heading LD PROJECT ASSISTANT: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lie Detectors will be assisted in its selection process by Brussels consultancy Local Knowledge. By sending us your application material you agree to being contacted by Lie Detectors and Local Knowledge.