Head of Belgium Programme
About Lie Detectors
Lie Detectors (https://lie-detectors.org) is an independent and award-winning news literacy organisation in Europe that fights disinformation and polarisation by empowering young people and teachers to sort fact from fiction online and understand how professional journalism works. Lie Detectors contributes findings from its work to international and national deliberations on education policy and digital rights, including within high-level EU expert advisory processes.
The scale of our work with schools is increasing: our country teams currently arrange more than 1,300 individual classroom visits per year by our 200+ participating journalists, across Europe and beyond.
To get to know our work see coverage in the Financial Times, BBC, Spiegel Online, German broadcaster ZDF, the European Business Summit as well as our Covid-adapted work.
Are you our ideal candidate?
As the Head of our Belgium Programme, you will plan and oversee our media literacy training work in classrooms and in teacher-training settings across the country (currently prioritising our work in French and English). You will expand the programme’s network of schools and journalists. As our ideal candidate, you will relish the high-performing logistical aspect that defines this job as well as the networking, community-building and policy-advice opportunities it often presents. You will bring a structured approach to complex tasks, to problem-solving and to the management of your team in Belgium. Reporting to the International Programme Director, you will work closely with Lie Detectors’ other country leads to share best practice and developments and develop strategy with Lie Detectors’ senior management.
You will play a pivotal part in ensuring Lie Detectors’ consistent growth, efficiency and effectiveness, learning and evaluation. As you become increasingly familiar with our processes and grassroots work, you will help inform Lie Detectors’ communications and advocacy at country level.
What we are looking for
- A dynamic leader with proven skills in managing and motivating diverse teams with over 10 years of experience
- Excellent judgment and experience in strategy development and strategy management
- Proven ability to plan, set goals and meet deadlines through delegating and a structured approach
- Proven ability to embed systems and workflows
- Ability to attract and win over diverse stakeholders
- Networks in Belgian education, Belgian media or related policy fields
- Excellent English and fluent French (written and oral).
What we offer
- We are advertising this position as either a full-time role or as an 18-month consultancy to attract the best possible candidates.
- An interesting, varied and impactful job
- A unique opportunity to advance and accelerate practical work to tackle digital disinformatoin and polarisation
- Attractive salary and benefits package; full home office set up to facilitate hybrid office work
- Work in partnership with journalists and educators
- Opportunities to inform deliberations in education and digital rights
- You’ll join a well-meshed and brilliant team – we’re proud to say that a recent external health-check found our team to have remarkably high levels of trust, respect and motivation
While this position is based in our central Brussels headquarters, we operate a hybrid office policy, facilitating a combination of working from the office and from home.
If this sounds like an exciting and suitable next challenge for you, send us your CV and a cover letter in English outlining how your past experience equips you for the role by COB 1 November to email@example.com. Should you see this posting after this deadline, feel free to contact us to check whether applying still makes sense.
Lie Detectors is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Lie Detectors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, age or any other status protected by applicable law.
We are working with an external consultancy to fill this position. The consultant will have access to documents that you submit during the recruitment process and may contact individual candidates on behalf of Lie Detectors.