Lie Detectors is an independent, award-winning and journalist-led news literacy organisation that works to empower schoolchildren and their teachers in Europe to act as powerful lie detectors and critical thinkers in a world increasingly populated by propaganda and distorted facts online. We do this by equipping school communities to fact-check online content, understand news media, make informed choices and resist peer pressure as they assemble their worldview.
- We turn working journalists and selected media experts into active participants in the drive for news literacy, creating positive contact between journalists and children as well as their teachers. As of June 2021 we are working across Europe with more than 250 professional journalists and media organisations.
- We attune teachers in primary, middle and secondary schools to digital media risks, to the tools available to counter it, and to the benefits and relevance of further classroom discussion of a topic often relegated to IT lessons and after-school clubs.
- We provide work sheets and create memorable classroom experiences and lasting awareness of children’s own participation in social networks; to propel pupils into an ongoing conversation of news consumption and verifying news.
- As a Friend of eTwinning and in numerous fora, we provide teacher-training seminars and workshops internationally.
- We provide a link between schools and the very best existing news-literacy and news-verification initiatives.
- Working with alliances of like-minded organisations, we inform educational policy-making through continued public speaking in varied fora, advocating for the systematic uptake and inclusion of news literacy in the curricula of teacher-training colleges and classrooms across Europe, as urged by Unesco and OECD. As part of this remit, LIE DETECTORS was a member of the EU’s new High Level Group on Fake News, advising the European Commission on how to tackle the spread and socio-economic impact of disinformation.
- We remain independent of any commercial or political funding.