International Programme Officer
About Lie Detectors
Lie Detectors (https://lie-detectors.org) is an independent and award-winning news literacy organisation in Europe that fights disinformation and polarisation by empowering young people and teachers to sort fact from fiction online and understand how professional journalism works. Lie Detectors contributes findings from its work to international and national deliberations on education policy and digital rights, including within high-level EU expert advisory processes.
The scale of our work with schools is increasing: our country teams currently arrange more than 1,300 individual classroom visits per year by our 200+ participating journalists, across Europe and beyond.
Are you our ideal candidate?
As International Programme Officer (IPO) you will be a key member of the international programme team at Lie Detectors, reporting to the International Programme Director. The IPO will work with country teams and external experts to engage in consistency checks and copy editing to ensure top quality training for our volunteer journalists and compelling curriculum for our classroom visits. The IPO ensures Lie Detectors’ country teams and country partners have the materials they need to maximise the impact of our educational work and will support us in expanding our work to other countries over time. The IPO will also play a key role in supporting the International Programme Director to manage organisation-wide strategic planning processes and will play a leading role in ensuring consistent monitoring, evaluation and learning regarding our progress against our stated objectives. Where relevant, they will also inform and support advocacy and communications work.
You will play a pivotal part in ensuring Lie Detectors’ consistent growth, efficiency and effectiveness, learning and evaluation.
What we are looking for
- A dynamic team player with proven skills in planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Proven ability to plan, set goals and meet deadlines through a structured approach
- Excellent skills in Copywriting, copy editing and proofreading in multiple languages
- 3 years professional experience
- Ability to use programme & project management methods
- Outstanding communication skills; basic financial and budgeting skills
- Excellent English and fluent French or German (written and oral).
What we offer
- We are advertising this position as a full-time role
- A unique opportunity to advance and accelerate practical work to tackle digital disinformation and polarisation
- Attractive salary and benefits package; full home office set up to facilitate hybrid office work
- An interesting, varied and impactful job
- Work in partnership with journalists, educators and international teams across Europe
- Opportunities to inform deliberations in education and digital rights
- You’ll join a well-meshed and brilliant team – we’re proud to say that an external health-check found our team to have remarkably high levels of trust, respect and motivation
While this position is based in our central Brussels headquarters, we operate a hybrid office policy, facilitating a combination of working from the office and from home.
If this sounds like an exciting and suitable next challenge for you, send us your CV and a cover letter in English outlining how your past experience equips you for the role by COB 17 November to firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you see this posting after this deadline, feel free to contact us to check whether applying still makes sense.
Lie Detectors is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Lie Detectors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, age or any other status protected by applicable law.
We are working with an external consultancy to fill this position. The consultant will have access to documents that you submit during the recruitment process and may contact individual candidates on behalf of Lie Detectors.